Defensive Player of the Year
The Defensive Player of the Year award is awarded to the best defensive player in the NBA. Over the past couple of seasons, the award has not only been given to centers and bigs. It has been awarded to players such as Kawhi Leonard. The award has a long history of big man winners.
Jarrett Allen is the best-suited Net for the award if he steps up his game. Allen is a good defensive center. There are a couple flaws in his defensive game, but he is one of Brooklyn’s best defenders.
More from Nothin' But Nets
- Nets star Mikal Bridges labeled top ‘trade target’ for serious title contender
- LAST CHANCE: Get $2,500 Bonus for Any NBA Draft Bet Before FanDuel Promo Expires Sunday
- Bet365 New Jersey Bonus: Bet $1, Win $200 GUARANTEED on ANY NBA Finals Bet Tonight!
- BetRivers NJ Promo: Bet $500 on the NBA/NHL Finals, Get a Bonus-Bet Refund if You Miss!
- DraftKings New Jersey Promo: Bet $5, Win $150 INSTANTLY on ANY NBA Playoff Game!
Some flaws in Allen’s game are physical size and help defense. Allen is undersized physically compared to other NBA centers. He would often get bullied down low by other centers, but held his ground and came up with some nice blocks. He averaged 1.2 blocks per game last season.
Help defense needs to improve with Allen. Often, Allen stays under the rim and does not take on drivers until they come his way. If Allen can smartly move up without leaving a gap down low, the difference will be felt.
Now, the Nets will need Allen to become a top rim protector in 2018-19. Opposing teams have targeted the Nets frontcourt. Nets general manager Sean Marks has done a good job building up Brooklyn’s frontcourt this offseason.
If Allen can step up his defensive game and become one of the most feared centers in the league, he will have a chance of being included in the Defensive Player of the Year conversation.